Friday, May 20, 2011

How Can I Avoid the Evils that Threaten my Family?

I am going to study the words of Alma to his son Corianton in Alma 39 to see what answers to this question I can find.

Alma gives this counsel to his son, but it applies to everyone in regards to how we need to develop self-mastery or self-control:
"9 Now my son, I would that ye should repent and forsake your sins, and go no more after the lusts of your eyes, but cross yourself in all these things; for except ye do this ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God. Oh, remember, and take it upon you, and cross yourself in these things." (Alma 39:9)

When he says cross yourself it's like we say "check yourself" today. Exercise self-mastery, self-discipline, and self-control. Teach your family to do the same, just as Alma is teaching his son. Alma tells Corianton to hang out with his brothers and follow their examples since they're living righteously. I think it's always easier to avoid evils when you put yourself with a good crowd that is striving for the same thing.

Alma tells him to "turn to the Lord" and to "acknowledge [his] faults" in verse 13. And some great advice for us to remember: "Seek not after riches nor the vain things of this world; for behold, you cannot carry them with you" (Alma 39:14).

No comments:

Post a Comment