Saturday, March 26, 2011

What Does Jesus Expect of Me?

To answer this question, I'll reference the words of the prophet Jacob, son of Lehi, in 2 Nephi 9 in the Book of Mormon.

In order for me to be able to "inherit the kingdom of God" and have my "joy be full forever," I need to have faith in Jesus Christ and "endure the crosses of the world" (2 Ne 9:18). I believe that enduring the crosses of the world means living a righteous and virtuous life even in a world that doesn't respect that lifestyle. Persecution and discrimination are inevitable for those who follow Christ, so I must be willing to do what it takes and have the faith necessary to live my beliefs.

Jesus expects all men to have faith, repent, and be baptized (2 Ne 9:23) so they can be saved in the kingdom of God. We should also keep the commandments of God and not waste our time here on earth (2 Ne 9:27). Remember that to be carnally-minded is death and to be spiritually-minded is life eternal (2 Ne 9:39).

Jacob invites, "O then, my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One" (2 Ne 9:41). The Lord expects me to come unto him. The way to come unto the Lord is through faith, repentance, and baptism. It requires keeping His commandments and living the best I can. I must also prepare myself for judgment day:
"46 Prepare your souls for that glorious day when justice shall be administered unto the righteous, even the day of judgment, that ye may not shrink with awful fear; that ye may not remember your awful guilt in perfectness, and be constrained to exclaim: Holy, holy are thy judgments, O Lord God Almighty—but I know my guilt; I transgressed thy law, and my transgressions are mine; and the devil hath obtained me, that I am a prey to his awful misery." (2 Ne 9:46
He also expects us to have our priorities straight. Do our decisions about time and money bring us closer to Him and to the happiness that we seek? Jacob counsels:
"51 Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy. Hearken diligently unto me, and remember the words which I have spoken; and come unto the Holy One of Israel, and feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted, and let your soul delight in fatness." (2 Ne 9:51, emphasis added)
Lastly, I learn from this chapter in the Book of Mormon that Jesus expects me to have a cheerful heart and an attitude of gratitude: "Behold, my beloved brethren, remember the words of your God; pray unto him continually by day, and give thanks unto his holy name by night. Let your hearts rejoice" (2 Ne 9:52).

No comments:

Post a Comment