Monday, March 28, 2011

How Can Believing in Jesus Christ Help Me?

To study the question "How can believing in Jesus Christ help me?" I'm going to study Alma 36 in the Book of Mormon, which contains the words of the prophet Alma to his son, Helaman.

I can imagine the intense emotion of a father testifying to his son of the thinks he believes and knows to be true. His words are motivated by the love of a father for his son. With this intensity he begins, "My son, give ear to my words; for I swear unto you, that inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land" (Alma 36:1). In order to keep God's commandments, one must believe in God and that the commandments are His. I also know that keeping His commandments leads to prosperity in all aspects of life.

He continues, "I would that ye should do as I have done, in remembering the captivity of our fathers; for they were in bondage, and none could deliver them except it was the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob; and he surely did deliver them in their afflictions" (Alma 36:2). I think this is a very important point that Alma makes. Their ancestors at times were in captivity by their enemies and the only way they were able to escape was through the deliverance of the power of Jesus Christ. Believing in and turning to Jesus Christ can deliver us as well in our time of need. This is another powerful benefit of believing and trusting in the Savior of the world.

"And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day" (Alma 36:3). If we believe in Jesus Christ and put our trust in him, then this promise is available to us as well- we will be supported in our trials, troubles, and afflictions. I know that for me, this is the time when I most need help, and I am grateful that the Savior has been there time and again to lift me up and support me when I'm having a rough time.

Believing in Jesus Christ and laboring with him to help bring to pass the salvation of others fills your soul with "exceedingly great joy" (Alma 36:25).

And another reason to believe in Jesus Christ- listen to how it has helped Alma throughout his adult life:
"27 And I have been supported under trials and troubles of every kind, yea, and in all manner of afflictions; yea, God has delivered me from prison, and from bonds, and from death; yea, and I do put my trust in him, and he will still deliver me." (Alma 36:27)
And lastly, from this chapter, I learned that believing in Christ will help me to "raise me up at the last day, to dwell in glory" (Alma 36:28). And isn't that what we all hope for? To learn more about Jesus Christ visit http://mormon.org/jesus-christ/.

No comments:

Post a Comment