Thursday, January 14, 2016

Pondering to Receive Revelation

In 1 Nephi 10:17, Nephi expresses a desire to "see, and hear, and know of [the things that his father saw in vision], by the power of the Holy Ghost." Then in 11:1 he says, "after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart." First he believed his father's words, then he desired to know for himself, and third he pondered them. The rest of chapter 11 describes his vision of the life and death of the Savior, a vision that was opened to him as he sat pondering.

This is not a singular event. I have noticed in my own life that revelation flows when I quiet my mind and ponder - something that I wish I did a lot more often. The 138th section of the Doctrine & Covenants was received by Joseph F Smith in 1918 in a similar way. President Smith described his experience: "I sat in my room pondering over the scriptures; and reflecting upon the great atoning sacrifice that was made by the Son of God, for the redemption of the world...As I pondered over these things which are written, the eyes of my understanding were opened, and the Spirit of the Lord rested upon me..." He then experienced a sacred vision that became Section 138.

As part of our daily scripture study, we should ponder on the things that we read and learn. This can open the doors of revelation to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment