Monday, January 25, 2016

Powerful Parental Pleadings

2 Nephi 1 is largely about Lehi pleading with his eldest sons to change their hearts. Lehi expresses his fear for them if they continue to harden their hearts against the Lord. In this post, I just want to capture some of the powerful language that Lehi uses in pleading with his sons:
  • I would that ye would remember (verse 12)
  • I would that ye would hearken unto my words (verse 12)
  • awake from a deep sleep, yea, even from the sleep of hell (verse 13)
  • shake off the awful chains by which ye are bound (verse 13)
  • Awake! and arise from the dust, and hear the words of a trembling parent (14)
  • I have feared, lest...ye be cut off and destroyed forever (17)
  • O my sons, that these things might not come upon you (19)
  • that my soul might have joy in you, and that my heart might leave this world with gladness because of you, that I might not be brought down with a grief and sorrow to the grave (21)
  • arise from the dust, my sons, and be men (21)
  • be determined in one mind and in one heart, united in all things (22)
  • Awake, my sons (23)
  • put on the armor of righteousness (23)
  • Shake off the chains by which ye are bound (23)
  • come forth out of obscurity (23)
  • arise from the dust (23)
  • Rebel no more (24)
He concludes by offer his sons and the sons of Ishmael his first blessing "if [they] will hearken unto the voice of Nephi" and promises they "shall not perish." And he warns that if they will not hearken, his first blessing will be taken away from them and rest upon Nephi. 

I think it's impossible to study this chapter without feeling the emotion of Lehi's words, his love and concern for his sons. He likely knows that his words will fall on hardened hearts, yet he refuses to give up on his boys. In a way, this is a microcosm of God and his children on this earth. He knows who will and will not listen, yet he does not give up on us. He pleads for us to repent and return to Him, and his arm is stretched out still.

No comments:

Post a Comment