Sunday, January 3, 2021

DAY 86 of #100daysofJesus - Sheep and Goats


 DAY 86 of #100daysofJesus

Jesus taught that in His Second Coming, He would gather "all nations" and "separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats."
The sheep will "inherit the kingdom" while the goats "shall go away into everlasting punishment."
What was the difference between the two goats and the sheep?
Charity!
Jesus poetically describes the sheep this way: "For I was hungry, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me."
He then gives this powerful conclusion: "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."
Clearly we want to be on team Sheep and not team Goat when Jesus returns, so it's nice that this parable tells us what we need to do to be on the right team.
James in the New Testament taught that "pure religion" is "to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction." This comes just a few verses after his admonition to be "doers of the word and not hearers only."
God expects us to look out for one another in this life. In opposition to this, Satan tempts us to focus our time and resources on entertainment and pleasure.
This is not to say that entertainment or pleasure is bad - it's not - but if it distracts us from serving our brothers and sisters in need we can lose focus on what matters most. Good things can prevent us from doing better or the best things.
Opportunities for service are all around us both within the Church and within our communities.
Within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we have formal assignments to minister and serve one another. This is designed to help us all take care of one another. Never has this been so important as now during a global pandemic!
If you're struggling to find ways to serve those in need, I'd suggest you check out justserve.org (they have a good app too). There are many local opportunities as well as "from home" opportunities to serve your community.
Service doesn't only bless those in need but it also changes us by developing our character to become more Christlike.
As we become more like Jesus, we will be prepared to be found with His sheep on His right hand at His coming.
(Matthew 25:31-46, James 1:22-27)

No comments:

Post a Comment