Wednesday, January 20, 2021

DAY 99 of #100daysofJesus - A New Dispensation


 DAY 99 of #100daysofJesus

On a spring morning in 1820, the history of the world changed forever.
The great apostasy prophesied of by Paul, Amos, and others would soon come to an end as the restoration of Jesus Christ's gospel commenced. Prophesies of Ezekiel, Daniel, Isaiah, Jesus Christ, and many other prophets were being fulfilled with the dawn of a new dispensation.
The Second Coming of Jesus Christ approached, and the world needed to be prepared. The Kingdom of God would once again be established on the earth, this time to never again be taken.
Jesus had been born in a humble stable; His Apostles chosen from among the humblest professions. Why would this new prophet be called from any other circumstance?
Joseph Smith described himself as "an obscure boy...of no consequence in the world." He was the son of poor farmer and lacked much formal education. Even as an adult, his wife would later say that he "could neither write nor dictate a coherent and well-worded letter."
Yet, it was through this humble boy that Jesus would reveal Himself.
From an early age, Joseph was concerned about the welfare of his soul. There was much religious excitement in the community with local pastors and traveling preachers competing intensely for converts. Even his own family was split in their religious affiliations.
While struggling to know what to do, Joseph read this passage in the New Testament: "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."
He later described, "Never did any passage of scripture come with more power to the heart of man than this did at this time to mine. It seemed to enter with great force into every feeling of my heart. I reflected on it again and again, knowing that if any person needed wisdom from God, I did."
Joseph visited a secluded spot in the woods near his home, determined to ask God directly about the welfare of his own soul and for direction on which religious sect to join. He fully expected to receive an answer but never could have imagined what would happen next.
In Joseph's own words: "I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me... When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!"
The heavens had gloriously opened, and a new dawn was breaking. Joseph would soon become the Prophet of the Restoration, an instrument in God's hands to restore the Church of Jesus Christ, priesthood authority, and the fullness of Jesus' gospel to the earth.
This event over 200 years ago is celebrated by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints around the world. Along with millions of others, I recognize how impossible this story sounds, yet with them I believe it really happened.
For those seeking tangible evidence, I would present the Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ. This book of scripture was "translated by the gift and power of God" by Joseph, an uneducated young adult in about 60 days.
And even more importantly, we can take on the same challenge as Joseph, given by James, to "ask of God." I've received my own witness of the truthfulness of these events by doing just that - asking God. I feel it in my heart and mind, and it fills me with peace and joy.
How does reading about Joseph's experience make you feel?
I believe that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was founded by the resurrected Jesus Christ through His servant Joseph and that Jesus continues to lead His church today through His chosen prophets.
Only one day left of my hundred-days challenge. Thanks for letting me share with you a bit about my belief in Jesus Christ. My beliefs shape my character and deeply inform who I am as a person. It's not easy to share things so personal and sacred in a public setting, but I have enjoyed the opportunity to do so. I love talking about Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment