Friday, January 8, 2021

DAY 91 of #100daysofJesus - Doubting Thomas

 

DAY 91 of #100daysofJesus
After Jesus' resurrection, He appeared to His apostles; however, one of the apostles, Thomas, was absent from that event.
When news came to Thomas that Jesus was alive and he heard the apostles say, "We have seen the Lord," Thomas was unwilling to believe them.
Thomas' response was: "Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe."
It's unfortunate that Thomas has been known as "Doubting Thomas" since that time and it has become a label often applied to people unwilling to believe without empirical evidence.
Considering how the apostles did not grasp well what Jesus had taught about his impending death and resurrection, it's hard to blame Thomas for doubting.
The logic didn't make sense. Nobody had EVER resurrected before. Sure, Jesus had raised the dead on a number of occasions, but this was different. Plus, the miracle worker was the one who had been crucified. Who could raise Jesus?
And emotionally, I can't even imagine the trauma of watching your mentor and beloved friend be wrongfully arrested and crucified! Add to that the fact that you had just devoted the past few years of your life to Him with the belief that he was the promised Messiah who would free your people from Roman rule.
I don't think we should judge him so quickly by asking "How could Thomas be such a doubter?" or by assuming we wouldn't have ourselves doubted were we in his place.
But I'm glad the story doesn't end there with the grief-stricken Thomas, full of doubt, feeling like an outsider for missing out on whatever the others had experienced. How could he be an ambassador of the gospel of Jesus Christ in that state!?
As you know, Jesus later appeared to Thomas and said, "Peace be unto you."
After more than a week of what had to have been torture for Thomas, the peace he felt at hearing Jesus' voice must have been exquisite.
I imagine Thomas falling to his knees, tears running down his cheeks, as he cries out, "My Lord and my God."
And then Jesus teaches this lesson for all of us: "Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."
I love this. I have not seen Jesus with my eyes, yet I believe. Though I don't have empirical evidence for Him to share with you, I have personally experienced his love, mercy, grace, healing, peace, and joy in my life. And so can you.
Believe in Jesus and come unto Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment