Thursday, January 7, 2021

DAY 90 of #100daysofJesus - Be United

 

DAY 90 of #100daysofJesus
Jesus preached unity and love.
In His great Intercessory Prayer, He pleads with His Father to fill His disciples with love and prays for a unity of oneness.
Some of the phrases from the prayer include:
"Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are."
"Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that"
"And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me."
It is clear that unity or oneness is extremely important to Jesus.
He even gave the command on one occasion: "be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine."
Oneness is a characteristic of Christian disciples.
When we begin to divide ourselves over political, racial, social, economic, or religious issues, we cease to live how Jesus has asked us to, and we jeopardize our own unity with Him.
Yesterday, I discussed the eternal importance of knowing Jesus. I'm not sure we can sufficiently come to know Him without becoming more unified with Him.
How do we achieve this unity? While it may not be easy, it really is simple: love.
When we keep the two great commandments to love God and to love our neighbor, how can we be anything but united?
I call upon all Christians to love their neighbors regardless of your differences or differences of opinion and to strive for the unity that Jesus prayed to His Father that we might have.
(John 17, D&C 38:27, Matthew 22:36-40)

No comments:

Post a Comment