Friday, October 23, 2020

DAY 18 of #100daysofJesus - Become as Little Children


 DAY 18 of #100daysofJesus

Jesus not only loved children, but taught that we need to be more like them.
While His disciples disputed about who would be "greatest in the kingdom of heaven," Jesus took the opportunity for an object lesson. He called a little child over to him and presented him to the disciples. He then told them to listen up and declared:
"Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven."
At another time, as recorded in the New Testament, Jesus taught his disciples, referring to little children, that "of such is the kingdom of heaven."
To the Nephites, in the Book of Mormon, Jesus clarifies associates being repentant with being childlike. He says, "whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God. Behold, for such I have laid down my life."
To the same people, Jesus later adds, "ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things... or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God."
It is clear that we must become more childlike (not childish). Have you spent time recently with a young child? What are their attributes that Jesus may be suggesting we should also embrace within ourselves? A few come to mind - little children are:
- accepting and loving of all
- quick to forgive
- kind
- quick to laugh and smile
- unashamed and vulnerable
- not afraid to sing and dance
- creative and playful
- not living in the past or concerned about the future
- mindful and present
- dependent on others
- teachable and humble
- trusting
And I'm sure the list is much longer than this!
Society trains us to bury many of these childlike attributes through shame. Just think about it. At one point in your life, you exemplified each of these above attributes. How about now? This was eye-opening for me. I want to get back to these childlike attributes in my life. I believe it will help me live a happier life, a life more like the kingdom of God.
Another thought on the relationship between repentance (change) and being childlike is that the Book of Mormon teaches that "becoming as a child" is a key ingredient to overcoming or "putting off the natural man." All of us have "natural man" tendencies (pride, selfishness, impatience, lust, grudges, etc), and becoming more childlike is a key step in overcoming these things.
As I've contemplated the attributes of little children, my heart has been softened. I see myself and my own kids more clearly, and I'm motivated to better live Jesus' teaching to become as a little child.
(References: Matthew 18:1-4, Matthew 19:13-14, Mosiah 3:19, 3 Nephi 9:22, 3 Nephi 11:37-38)

No comments:

Post a Comment