Monday, October 12, 2020

DAY 7 of #100daysofJesus - Why Does God Allow Pain and Suffering?

 


DAY 7 of #100daysofJesus

Today I want to share some thoughts about why God allows pain and suffering. For many, this is a huge stumbling block to belief in or love for God. Time does not permit a comprehensive analysis, just a couple thoughts.

My kids HATE flu shots. Really, they hate any shots. I don't know of too many people who enjoy shots, but just the thought of a shot fills my oldest two daughters with anxiety and dread. One daughter, in particular, becomes hysterically terrified when she sees the needle approaching. She cries, screams, kicks, and literally tries to hide under a chair or bench if she can. It's heartbreaking to watch.

As a father I still take my kids to get their flu shots (and other vaccines) even though it will cause them emotional (and a small bit of physical) pain and suffering. I may not be the one who gives them the shot, but I allow and permit it. Why? Because I love my children. I have a broader perspective and know that the little bit of short-term pain is worth preventing the contraction and spread of the significantly worse illness.

I know this analogy is far from perfect. It may seem insensitive to compare a small poke in the arm to the tremendous suffering around the world, and I don't mean it to be.

My purpose in this anecdote is to emphasize the point that God has a broader perspective than we do. King Benjamin in the Book of Mormon was spot on when he said that "man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend." Isaiah said it another way, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

I don't pretend to understand all of God's thoughts and ways, just as my hysterical daughter has no chance in the moment to understand why her loving father would inflict the seeming injustice of a flu shot upon her. But I do know that I love my children, and I do know that God loves us, His children, infinitely more.

Somehow, when we suffer in this life, it will be to our eternal benefit. I believe that every wrong will be righted, every injustice corrected, and every pain turned to joy whether in this life or the next. This was one of the purposes for God sending his only begotten Son to die for us.

This brings me to my final point - the greatest example of pain, suffering, and injustice is what Jesus Christ endured. He was falsely accused and convicted, beaten and mocked, spit upon and humiliated, whipped and stabbed, betrayed and crucified. He felt every thorn in the "crown" smashed onto his head. He felt the pain of each nail as it pierced his hands, wrists, and feet.

How could a loving God allow His Son to suffer such painful cruelty?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

The answer again comes back to perspective. God plays the long-game in each of our lives. We have to trust that he knows what is best for each of his children in the eternal perspective. This mortal life is but a blink of an eye when compared to eternity.

Perhaps this is too heavy of a topic for a Monday morning, and if so, I apologize. I believe that all of the pain and suffering in this world will be immeasurably recompensed according to the mercy and justice of a loving Heavenly Father.

Let me end with this statement from Jesus in John 16:33:

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment