Saturday, October 31, 2020

DAY 26 of #100daysofJesus - Peace, Be Still

 

DAY 26 of #100daysofJesus
For some reason, this image reminds me a lot of 2020.
You may remember this event, as recorded in Mark 4, of the disciples crossing the Sea of Galilee when a great tempest arose. Jesus had fallen asleep, and the panicking disciples woke him up with the words, "Master, carest thou not that we perish?"
Jesus then "arose and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm."
"Peace, be still."
Most of us have probably experienced moments in our lives, very likely during this past several months, where we have asked the same question: "God, do you care that I'm overwhelmed / anxious / suffering / lonely / depressed / hurting / scared ?" Sometimes it feels as though He is asleep while the wind blows and the waves crash all around us.
But the truth is that He is there in the storm with us. He is perfectly aware of our situation, our struggles, our thoughts, our desires, our worries, and our hopes.
He is able to rebuke the wind and the waves in our lives, though it may look a bit different than we expect. Peace and stillness do not come from our external circumstances but from within.
For me 2020 has been a year of facing my own anxiety. I have dealt with varying levels of anxiety my entire life, but when the 5.7 magnitude earthquake hit back in March, it triggered PTSD-like anxiety and had a big impact on me. Professional help has been invaluable, but equally as impactful has been practicing stillness.
A regular practice of meditation has helped me learn to calm my mind, slow my breathing, relax every part of my soul, and feel more connected to myself. The Savior has been with me on my journey every step of the way. His words, "Peace, be still" were not to the storms of 2020 but to my soul. The events of 2020 continue, but I feel so much more at peace!
Over these past few weeks, my new favorite song has become the Christian classic "Be Still My Soul." The first verse is:
Be still my soul the Lord is on thy side
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain
Leave to thy God to order and provide
In every change He faithful will remain
Be still my soul thy best, thy heavenly friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end
Here are two powerful versions of this beautiful song that have each stirred my soul:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5L88vissW4 (warning: you will probably cry)
So, whatever your circumstances might be. However difficult life may seem right now, please know that He is offering the same words to you, "Peace be still." Trust in Him to help you find the peace and stillness that comes from within. Hang in there - it gets better!

No comments:

Post a Comment