Saturday, November 7, 2020

DAY 33 of #100daysofJesus - Jesus' Other Sheep

 


DAY 33 of #100daysofJesus
Jesus had "other sheep" besides his Jewish flock, and He visited them after His resurrection.
I'm referring to the Nephites, an indigenous people in the Americas, as recorded in the Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ, but Jesus also suggested additional peoples, whom are not yet known to us, that were similarly visited.
Many Nephites were gathered together near the temple, talking about Jesus and the sign of his death that they had recently witnessed. They heard a peaceful voice that "did pierce them to the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn." It was the voice of God the Father introducing Jesus, "Behold my Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased, in whom I have glorified my name - hear ye him."
Jesus then descended from the heavens, clothed in a white robe, and "stretched forth his hand," saying:
"Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come in the world. And behold, I am the light and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking up me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning."
Jesus invited the multitude of Nephites to come to Him one by one to feel of the nail prints in his hands and feet, to gain a personal witness of Him. He healed their sick, blessed their children, called and ordained apostles, organized His church, and taught them His doctrine.
The account of Jesus' visit to the Nephites is the central and most beautiful event recorded in the Book of Mormon. If interested, you can read it here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/.../scri.../bofm/3-ne/11
We can learn so many things from Jesus' visit, but one that stands out to me is the demonstration of Jesus' love - not just during the visit but to even make the visit in the first place. Jesus loves all of us, not just the people he ministered to during his life in Jerusalem. He truly is the God of the whole earth, all people, every individual, you and me.
I imagine the group of Nephites who were gathered near the temple that day discussing Jesus and the signs of his death may have been feeling disappointed, discouraged, and forgotten. They had waited for the coming of Jesus for the more than 30 years since the sign of his birth had been given, and now they had witnessed the sign of his death without his prophesied visit. Had He forgotten them?
Jesus will never forget us. Remember the words of Isaiah, "Yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands." He didn't forget his "other sheep" among the Nephites and He will never forget you and me!
(References: 3 Nephi 11, Isaiah 49:15-16, John 10:16, 3 Nephi 15:16-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment